Kratom's stimulating effects typically last at least two hours, although various factors can influence this duration. Learn more about how long kratom lasts and stays in your body's system.
- You can expect the benefits of kratom to kick in within 10 minutes and wear off after roughly two to four hours.
- How long kratom lasts does vary and depends on several factors.
- Early research suggests kratom has a half-life of just under 24 hours, so it's safe to assume it will take a few days to fully clear from your system.
While far from new, kratom has only recently become a popular herbal substance in the United States for promoting mood, alertness, and natural energy. Kratom is a tropical tree native to Southeast Asia, and its leaves contain a couple of major active ingredients that deliver these productivity benefits.
If you use kratom or consider it, you may be curious about how long it stays in the body. Here, we dive into how long you can expect kratom's effects to last, the factors influencing this timeline, and suggestions on how long to wait before taking another round of kratom.
What is Kratom?
We'll keep this overview of kratom brief. Kratom is an evergreen tree that is native to Asia. Its scientific name is Mitragyna Speciosa Korth, and it's a descendant of the trees that produce coffee. Thai and Malaysian natives have used kratom as a stimulant and herbal companion for ages for its various wellness and productivity benefits.
Traditionally, kratom leaves were chewed raw, smoked, or brewed into tea. They were thought to help people work longer hours and had potential natural wellness effects. Today, you can find a wider variety of kratom products, including kratom gummies and kratom shots which are a more effortless and tastier way to enjoy kratom.
How Does Kratom Work?
Kratom works by interacting with receptors located in your brain. These specific receptors are responsible for regulating many biological functions, some of which include motivation and pleasure.
Kratom leaves contain two primary active compounds, mitragynine and 7-a-hydroxy mitragynine. When either of these is introduced into the body, they go to your brain via your bloodstream, eventually stimulating these receptors to produce their effects.
The effects you'll experience from this interaction between kratom compounds and receptors depend on how much you take. Kratom generally energizes and stimulates you when taken in small amounts. In large quantities, it can produce calming and relaxing effects.
How Long Does Kratom Take to Kick In?
You can start feeling the effects of kratom within five to 10 minutes, depending on how you take it. Kratom products ingested orally can take a little longer because the compounds must go through your digestive system before reaching your bloodstream.
How Long Do the Kratom Effects Last?
Kratom effects can last anywhere between two to four hours. But the duration of the effects will vary depending on the strength of kratom, your frequency of taking kratom, and other biological factors.
Generally, if you take higher-potency kratom products, the effects will last longer. And if you're a frequent user, you may find that results don't last as long because of your tolerance.
How Long Does Kratom Last in the Body?
Just as the duration of the effects, how long kratom stays in the body varies. There are many factors at play, but one of the more effective ways to approach the question is by considering the half-life of kratom.
On average, the half-life of kratom is about 24 hours. That means it takes the body about a whole day to process and eliminate half of the kratom you take.
It takes about five to six half-lives for most substances to be entirely eliminated from the body. Therefore, with this as a general guideline, it will take about five to six days without using the product for the plant's compounds to be totally eliminated.
The half-life period might be longer than 24 hours for people who take kratom regularly.
Factors that Impact How Long Kratom Stays in Your Body
Several factors affect how long kratom stays in your system. Some are within your control, and others aren't.
- Potency – As you can imagine, higher servings of kratom will deliver longer-lasting effects than smaller ones.
- Tolerance – How frequently you use kratom will also influence how long it takes your body to eliminate the plant's compounds from your system. Infrequent users can expect their bodies to flush out the compounds faster.
- Body fat – Kratom metabolites are fat soluble and stored in fat. If you have a high BMI, you'll likely retain more kratom in your body for longer. Lean people with less fat will eliminate kratom more quickly from their bodies.
- Metabolism – Your metabolic rate determines how quickly the body processes and eliminates compounds. It is key to how long kratom stays in your body. People with a fast metabolic rate will burn through kratom faster, while those with a slower system require more time. Ordinary, active people with a higher percentage of lean muscle have a faster metabolic rate.
- Age – Age is crucial in determining how long kratom stays in your system. Generally, older people have a slower metabolism. Therefore, kratom might hang around longer if you're older.
- Genetic factors – Some kratom consumers are pre-disposed to having a smaller amount of liver enzymes that are responsible for metabolizing kratom. In such cases, the liver takes more time to metabolize kratom.
- When and what you last ate – This is another of the factors that affect how long kratom stays in the body that is within your control. Kratom effects are more potent when you take it on an empty stomach. On the other hand, eating a high-fat meal can increase kratom absorption and speed up how long it takes to leave your system. Drinking lots of water may also affect how quickly your body flushes out kratom somewhat.
How Long to Wait Before Taking Kratom Again
One of the primary reasons to ask how long kratom will stay in your body is to seek guidance on how often you can use it. For example, you may have taken a serving, not experienced the expected results, and are curious whether you can take more.
Going slow is the best way to navigate a new or established kratom routine. While everyone's needs vary, we recommend waiting at least six hours before taking another kratom serving. Beginners may do better with a longer gap between servings.
Of course, how frequently you take kratom is up to you. The optimal serving and frequency depend on your desired experience and the abovementioned factors. The best way to find what those are for you is to start small and monitor how you feel.
Remember that taking too much kratom can lead to an unpleasant experience. Sometimes too high a serving can cause nausea, dry mouth, sweating, elevated body temperature, itching, and more. So, it's best to start with a smaller serving and gradually work your way up as needed or desired.
What is Kratom Good For?
People use kratom for different reasons. Most use it for its energizing and stimulating effects, while others use it for its potential natural wellness properties. While the results of kratom may vary depending on the individual and the amount you take, anecdotal reports suggest it's beneficial for multiple reasons.
Kratom for mood support
One of the primary reasons people use kratom is that it has a natural calming effect that also helps them feel more optimistic. For example, when overwhelmed at work, some people turn to kratom to feel more centered.
Mitragynine, one of the primary alkaloids in kratom, may positively influence serotonin levels. Serotonin is the "feel good" hormone in the brain that regulates your mood.
Kratom for better productivity
Kratom's stimulating and energizing benefits also help you stay focused and motivated to get things done. Most people who use kratom say it acts as a nootropic to keep them on task during long workdays and gives them the competitive focus edge to tackle challenging tasks. Kratom may be the productivity boosts you need when used in lower quantities.
Kratom for natural soothing
Kratom's relaxing benefits can help your body feel better overall. Early research and user reports indicate that the plant's compounds may ease feelings of uncomfortableness, enabling you to feel and function better overall.
Kratom for sleep support
Sometimes, people use kratom to help them get a better night's sleep. The plant has naturally calming properties that may quiet busy thoughts and help you unwind after a long day, preparing your mind for rest. Kratom may create a suitable environment that makes falling asleep easier for some serious shuteye, particularly at higher servings.
Of Course, It Depends
In summary, how long kratom's effects last a couple of hours for most people. And it can stay in your body's system for up to 6 days. But your experience may vary. The key to an enjoyable experience is to start with a smaller serving and see how your body responds before adding more.